(Nuns) were the first feminists, earning Ph.D.’s or working as surgeons long before it was fashionable for women to hold jobs. As managers of hospitals, schools and complex bureaucracies, they were the first female C.E.O.’s.
They are also among the bravest, toughest and most admirable people in the world. In my travels, I’ve seen heroic nuns defy warlords, pimps and bandits. Even as bishops have disgraced the church by covering up the rape of children, nuns have redeemed it with their humble work on behalf of the neediest.
So, Pope Benedict, all I can say is: You are crazy to mess with nuns.
The Vatican issued a stinging reprimand of American nuns this month and ordered a bishop to oversee a makeover of the organization that represents 80 percent of them. In effect, the Vatican accused the nuns of worrying too much about the poor and not enough about abortion and gay marriage.
What Bible did that come from? Jesus in the Gospels repeatedly talks about poverty and social justice, yet never explicitly mentions either abortion or homosexuality. If you look at who has more closely emulated Jesus’s life, Pope Benedict or your average nun, it’s the nun hands down.
Since the papal crackdown on nuns, they have received an outpouring of support. “Nuns were approached by Catholics at Sunday liturgies across the country with a simple question: ‘What can we do to help?’ ” The National Catholic Reporter recounted. It cited one parish where a declaration of support for nuns from the pulpit drew loud applause, and another that was filled with shouts like, “You go, girl!”
At least four petition drives are under way to support the nuns. One on Change.org has gathered 15,000 signatures. The headline for this column comes from an essay by Mary E. Hunt, a Catholic theologian who is developing a proposal for Catholics to redirect some contributions from local parishes to nuns.
“How dare they go after 57,000 dedicated women whose median age is well over 70 and who work tirelessly for a more just world?” Hunt wrote. “How dare the very men who preside over a church in utter disgrace due to sexual misconduct and cover-ups by bishops try to distract from their own problems by creating new ones for women religious?”
Sister Joan Chittister, a prominent Benedictine nun, said she had worried at first that nuns spend so much time with the poor that they would have no allies. She added that the flood of support had left her breathless.
“It’s stunningly wonderful,” she said. “You see generations of laypeople who know where the sisters are — in the streets, in the soup kitchens, anywhere where there’s pain. They’re with the dying, with the sick, and people know it.”
I’ve known so many wonderful, sweet, amazing Nuns. Even though I am an atheist now, Nuns are the best feature of Catholicism, and one that I still respect today.
I went to grad school with a nun. She was the coolest. She was an old lady from Nigeria and was by far the most popular person in the program. (via afunnyfeminist)
- aditothemax reblogged this from andthenisay
- lighthousebeams likes this
- anjelicahuston-we-have-a-problem likes this
- subtlyextreme likes this
- devactinfinitewandererspassing reblogged this from homoerotics
- nemesis729 likes this
- inurclosets reblogged this from homoerotics
- thescentofwhiteroses likes this
- kalidescopedisaster reblogged this from coolchicksfromhistory
- teaandgaiety reblogged this from moneysnowta4lyfe
- moneysnowta4lyfe reblogged this from huggs-boson
- goldilockks likes this
- secret-gate likes this
- newyorkaddicts reblogged this from inothernews
- narrative-causality reblogged this from wrench-wench
- koimbra likes this
- affably likes this
- janelikesyou reblogged this from wholesomeobsessive
- ooootie likes this
- wholesomeobsessive reblogged this from euchroma
- senticolis reblogged this from smdy
- sleepymarmot likes this
- smdy reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- yournameiswho reblogged this from whatdoyouwantacupcake
- yournameiswho likes this
- whatdoyouwantacupcake reblogged this from procatstinates
- procatstinates reblogged this from stfangofboredom
- goddessofknittingandcake reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- callmepenguin likes this
- theboywiththethorninhis-side reblogged this from borrowingwords
- theboywiththethorninhis-side likes this
- borrowingwords reblogged this from lullabylibrary
- belladejour likes this
- lullabylibrary reblogged this from thenewwomensmovement
- notyetread reblogged this from stfuconservatives
- serioustryst reblogged this from elandrialore
- zombiescarlettohara reblogged this from coolchicksfromhistory
- allthisandhips likes this
- athinkingmanspufferfish reblogged this from wallacewellsbian
- i-break-horses likes this
- fivemoon reblogged this from oberstein
- clinicallyundressed likes this
- underolivetrees likes this
- okng likes this
- quaedam likes this
- teensniper likes this
- sachan33 reblogged this from deeygea
- deeygea reblogged this from mystifyingtubes